INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR SUNSCREEN SHADES
Measuring tape, level, power drill/drill bit, screw driver, pencil, step ladder.
- Read all of the following instructions.
- Match the blinds with the appropriate window(s).
- Determine what fasteners are required (only wood screws are included).
- Make sure you have the right tools and mounting hardware.
- For Inside/Ceiling mounts, check if mounting surface is level. If not level, you require shims in order to mount properly (not included).
- For Outside wall mounts, where the shade will be mounted directly above the window molding, check if the window molding protrudes more than 1/2″ from the wall. If this is the case, you will need spacers behind the brackets (included if ordered with the shade). If no spacers were included with your order, a small piece of wood mounted behind the bracket will work (make sure to pre-drill to prevent it from splitting).
- For very wide windows, you may need assistance, ask a friend or family member to give you a hand.
MOUNTING HARDWARE INCLUDED:
- Wall brackets or Ceiling brackets
- Wood screws for mounting
- Child-Safe tension device
- Spacers (if ordered with the shade)
INSIDE MOUNT WITH FASCIA
1. Far left and far right ceiling brackets need at least 1 1/2″ clearance from the ends of the shade in order to not interfere with the end stiffener on the head rail.
2. The back of the ceiling bracket needs at least 3/4″ of clearance behind it in order to be able to attach the head rail onto the bracket.
3. According to the diagram, put a mark with a pencil for the ceiling bracket screw hole at least 2″ from the side, 1 7/8″ from the back of the window molding for the far left and far right brackets.
4. If your shade came with more than 2 brackets, mark them evenly spaced between.
5. Pre-drill and mount the brackets with the spring loaded lip facing you.
6. Lower the shade material a couple of inches with the chain control so the bottom rail does not prevent you from snapping the head rail into the brackets.
7. Snap the head rail into the brackets by pushing the back into the slots first.
OUTSIDE MOUNT WITH FASCIA
1. Far left and far right wall brackets require at least 1 1/2″ clearance from the end of the head rail in order not to interfere with the end stiffener (see diagram on the right).
2. For wall mount above the window casing: if the window molding protrudes more than 1/2″ from the wall, spacers are required to be mounted behind the brackets so the window molding does not interfere with the operation of the blind (see: before installation).
3. Snap the 2 end brackets onto the head rail according to the diagram. Hold the shade up to the spot you wish to mount. (For wall mount, use the markings on the wall from the time you took your measurements to make sure the shade is not mounted too high or too low).
4. Mark with a pencil where the 2 end brackets need to be mounted.
5. Take the brackets off the head rail and hold them where your pencil markings are. Mark the screw hole with the pencil.
6. If your shade came with more than 2 brackets, mark screw holes for these as well, evenly spaced between the far left and far right brackets.
7. Pre-drill and mount the brackets with the spring-loaded lip facing you.
8. Lower the shade material a couple of inches with the chain control so the bottom rail does not prevent you from snapping the head rail into the brackets.
9. Snap the head rail into the brackets by pushing the back into the slots first and then push the spring-loaded lips to secure.
INSIDE MOUNT WITHOUT FASCIA
1. There are only end brackets for mounting without fascia. They can either be faced mounted, side mounted or (inside) ceiling mounted.
2. The side of the chain control requires the bracket with the slots and the opposite side requires the bracket with the single hole in the middle (see diagram).
3. The roller shade fabric rolls down from the back. Determine what side the chain control is located and that is the side that you mount the bracket with the slots.
4. Mount the brackets in the inside ceiling of the window casing/frame.
5. Install the shade by hooking the side of the chain control into the bracket first, then the opposite side with the spring loaded pin.
OUTSIDE MOUNT WITHOUT FASCIA
1. Read step 1, 2 and 3 above! (See: INSIDE MOUNT WITHOUT FASCIA)
2. Put the brackets onto the roller shade ends and hold it up to where you put your pencil marks when you measured (you may need assistance).
3. Make sure it is level, then mark with the pencil where the brackets need to be mounted.
4. Take the brackets off the shade and mark the screw holes, then mount the brackets.
5. Install the shade by hooking the side of the chain control into the bracket first, then the opposite side with the spring-loaded pin.
CHILD-SAFETY TENSION DEVICE
1. After installing the shade, attach the safety tension device to the beaded chain.
2. Stretch the beaded chain lightly and mark the screw holes with a pencil.
3. Pre-drill and install the tension device. The chain should move smoothly through the opening of the device. Failure to install properly may cause damage to the clutch and void the shade’s warranty.
This device is designed to minimize the risk of strangulation and entanglement of small children (and pets) by restricting access to the control chain. Even if children are not part of the household, the safety device should still be installed to minimize the risk of strangulation for any visiting young children to the premises.